The PEAR package manager (pear) is the swiss-army tool for:
- • Installing, upgrading and uninstalling packages from PEAR, Horde, etc.
- • Building PECL extensions (e.g.: apd, xmms, etc.)
- • Getting information on local and remote packages.
- • Managing user package list/upgrade preferences.
- • Check for dependencies
- • Validating and creating your own distributable packages.
- • Creating RPM spec files.
- • Managing PEAR CVS releases: tagging, signing, etc.
And the cool thing is that it is (most likely) already installed on your
system (PHP version 4.3.0 or newer).
It is also smart, it groks XML-RPC (like when talking to PEAR's or Horde's
site), HTTP (when using a full URL), or even a local tarball on your disk.
... and if you do not have it
$ wget http://pear.php.net/go-pear
$ php -f go-pear
(... follow the instructions ...)